Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ethical Clothing Shopping

So, it has been a LONG time since I have gone clothing shopping for myself. Lately, I have been working to get down to my bare minimum wardrobe modeled off this: http://www.fabulouslybroke.com/2011/07/the-minimalist-wardrobe-30-pieces-would-be-my-barest-of-bare-minimums/ . I tweaked it to meet my lifestyle needs and added shoes and such. My thought is to only buy to replace a piece in the established wardrobe. Unfortunately, as I went through my clothes I noticed most all of them have snags, frays, holes, etc. So, it is definitely time to do some shopping. I have been researching my booty off to find the most ethical companies to purchase from that have the kind of clothes I need.

TIME OUT TO WHINE

Why oh why is all organic and hemp stuff just yoga and lounge wear? Surely there is a person in the business world who also wants to buy things that don't support slavery or harm the environment! We can't all just lay around doing yoga all day and meditating no matter how relaxing it sounds.

Ok, back to the blog. So, here are the places/brands I have found with A and B ratings on ethics and the environment that make business type clothes.

Patagonia
LL Bean
Autonomie
Maggie's Organics
Levi's
Timberland
Gap
Nordstrom
Cutter and Buck
Abercrombie and Fitch
Calvin Klein
Izod

SHOES
UGG
Earth Shoes
Birkenstock
Timberland
Reebok

Expensive crud I know! Who said minimalism was cheap? Oh well, it will last a long time, not use slaves, and you know will either be donated or upcycled in my household. I wish I could find if ColdWater Creek was good or bad. I am in love with them. Anyone know?

1 comment:

  1. Since Gap and Old Navy are part of the same company, does this make Old Navy okay? I want you to tell me Lane Bryant is good though!

    ReplyDelete