1. The Bread
2 tablespoon scoops of active dry yeast
5 c of whole grain Azure flour (Hudson Cream flour works good too but then I add extra wheat germ.)
1/4 c raw sunflower seeds
1/4 c sesame seeds
1/2 c ground golden flax
2 t salt
1/4 c spectrum vegetable shortening
1 c applesauce
1/3 c local honey
1 c almond milk
1 c water
1. Pour milk and water together and warm up slightly, a little more then body temp.
2. Dissolve year in water.
3. Add honey, applesauce, flax, and half the flour.
4. Mix for 3 minutes. If using a mixer use medium speed.
5. Allow that to sponge for 45 minutes.
6. Add remaining flour, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and salt.
7. Knead together.
8. Add shortening and knead in for about 10 minutes.
9. Let it rise until doubled, pump down, do it again.
10. Divide into your loaf pans and let rise 15 minutes.
11. Preheat oven to 400. Bake 10 minutes and then 375 for 20 minutes
2. The Soup
6 good sized homegrown tomatoes
1 small garden grown white onion
2 t of 'Better then Bouillon' Vegan 'chicken' broth starter. (I found this at HyVee a while back)
1 c water
3 farmer's market garlic cloves
1 t salt
2 t basil
5 twists of pepper
1/2 t of turbinado sugar
1. Chop up tomatoes (peels and all)
2. Blend with 1/2 c water.
3. Mince garlic and finely chop onion.
4. Saute garlic and onion in olive oil.
5. Add broth starter and 1/2 c water
6. Add tomato puree
7. Heat to boiling
8. Add spices and sugar
9. Let thicken
This recipe based on: http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/10/homemade-tomato-soup-from-scratch.html
3. The Cheese
For the cheese I and still learning so no recipe of my own. Here is what I used. This turned out great! Note: I fried in olive oil instead of margarine.
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or grated
- 1/4 tsp. mustard powder
- a few twists of ground pepper
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- non-dairy, non-GMO margarine, for spreading
- 8 slices whole grain bread
1. In a bowl, combine nutritional yeast, flour, salt, pepper, garlic and water. Stir mixture constantly in a skillet over low heat (like making gravy). Once it gets pasty, add the oil (and a touch more water if necessary). Once the oil is incorporated, turn off the heat.
2. Margarine one side of each slice of bread. Take four of the slices and slather the other half with the "cheese". Slap the other four pieces of bread on top of the "cheesy" ones, marg side out.3. Fry up the sandwiches until golden brown on each side
As you can see, Rory approves!