Friday, July 22, 2011

Don't Believe in Climate Change? Why You Still Should Go Green.

I commonly get people who don't believe in climate change laugh at me for taking the time to 'be green'. Because of this I usually just ignore climate change as a reason to go green (although I still believe it is be a reason). Honestly, when I am say, buying flour at the store I don't think hmmm...I wonder if this product caused too much pollution in the atmosphere resulting in and imbalance to where global climate change would happen at a more rapid pace than it would naturally. Instead I think, is this product healthy? Healthy meaning no GMO, no bleaching, etc etc. Yes? Is this product ethical? Meaning did child slaves in a third world country grind this flour? Yes? Is this product local? Meaning I am making it so the future will have jobs in this area. Yes? Well then bag-o-flour, you have been deemed awesome and I will most definitely purchase you.

What I am trying to say is there are so many reasons to be eco-friendly. You don't need to believe in climate change to see that (we can just agree to disagree there). My reasons:
1. Healthier food-organic local eats mean a well rounded diet. Actually, they have found organic food really does have more vitamins that chemically grown food.
2. Better immune system-Exposing ourselves to health germs and staying away from chemicals means we are sick less.
3. Healthier air to breath-Everything you put in your home can be putting off chemicals that you are breathing in. The lung association said indoor air quality is so poor because of everything in our homes it should be a top concern!
4. Supporting local economy-local is a man factor in 'going green'. Buying local lets me know more about what I am buying, feel more welcomed and at home in the community, and supports the economy (which in the end supports me as a gov't worker :) )
5. Supporting American made-at least not made in china! Higher quality means it lasts longer, workers made a living wage, it didn't have to ship as far, and there are better standards against things like lead.
6. Saving money-by consuming minimally, conserving energy, gas and water I am saving money each month!
7. Healthier lives- I am not exposing my family to cheaply made products that have harmful chemicals or needless fragrances
8. The peace of mind knowing exactly what my money I am spending is funding and that it is in line with my ethical beliefs
9. Reducing waste-I hate clutter, by recycling and reducing consumption I know I am adding in creating a less cluttered, less commercialized, buy me type of America
10. Higher quality of life - when we are going 'green' activities they are active, group activities. They aren't just sitting in front of a tv all night. They are hanging clothes, gardening, cooking together, going for a walk, just enjoying the outdoors.

Of course we all slip up, we are not perfect. I bought pop-tarts last week for crying out loud! That doesn't mean I can't keep trying. I hear so many say they are overwhelmed by it so they just don't bother with any of it. Accept that we are human and can't be perfect, that doesn't mean we can't strive to be the best we can be! What are your reasons to 'go green' and why do you hesitate to try sometimes?

No comments:

Post a Comment